This is my 100th blog post. I must admit, I have surpassed my own expectations of my ability to maintain the consistency of my postings. Procrastination has been a lifelong uninvited companion and I was not sure at the start of this blogging endeavor if I would be able to escape its evil clutches on my time management skills. After some prolonged self analysis (approximately 5 minutes as I have children), I realized why I have been able to reach this 100th post without much agony and drama. It’s as simple as it sounds – when you are enjoying what you do it really does become easier to continue. I thoroughly enjoy fashion and doing this blog has been a pleasure and a fabulous learning experience.
So what have I learned from doing the previous 99 posts? Below are the top five observations I have made since I decided to become an over forty fashion blogger:
- Fashion is not an age dependent variable but rather an age independent constant. Age has definitely not diminished my passion for fashion. If anything, it has honed my fashion sensibilities and I have a much better idea of what I enjoy wearing today than I ever did 20 years ago.
- Fashion blogging is great fun – I am spending more money on clothes than ever before but apparently as long as I turn my purchases into content – I am doing something worthy and deserving of kudos! Long may it continue…
- I have gone through more makeup in creating these 100 posts than I went thorough in my entire life before becoming a fashion blogger. As a result, I am discovering the art of makeup, being exposed to new weird and wonderful products and I have a new found respect for makeup artists!
- 2016 is truly a great time to be a woman. I can be a professional, a wife, a parent, a daughter and an over forty blogger all at once. I am not sure any generation previously was afforded the opportunities and support that is available to women in our generation.
- I own clothes that are older than some of the younger fashion bloggers that I follow. Clothes, like life, really do come full circle.
Today, I am lookbooking a different kind of rescue mission outfit. We were visiting one of husband’s favorite cousins in Kolkata and knowing me as well as she does – she took me shopping. After exploring some beautiful sari shops we ended up at a lovely clothes and fabric shop as the last stop of the day. As I wandered around the shop aimlessly, I spotted a large basket in the corner with some lovely fabrics nestled in its confines. Upon closer inspection, the basket contained some beautiful old blouses that were unlike anything I had owned before. I inquired about them and the shop assistant told me that they were vintage blouses that they had acquired and more importantly, they were for sale. Given the ridiculously cheap price tag on these items, I had to have them and I bought two of the lovely pieces immediately. After a good dry cleaning, I asked my mother on her next trip to India to get me a lehenga made to wear with this ‘rescue mission’ vintage blouse. This is the creation she came back with and it surpassed my expectations! I love the simplicity and colour of this outfit. The crowning touch of the ensemble is the border of the lehenga that she has added to the back of the blouse to create a back strap and visually tie the outfit together. I wore this outfit to a sangeet (wedding function) recently and I received many compliments on this blouse that I rescued from the obscurity of the corner basket in that shop in Kolkata.
I hope you enjoy this look and thank you for so much reading. I also wanted to extend a big thank you for the support that you have provided in helping me reach my 100th post on Isha’s Verdict.