I absolutely adore flats! One of the many benefits of being a woman is having a wide variety of shoes to choose from. While I thoroughly enjoy wearing heels, the reality is that flats are my absolute go-to shoes on most days of the year. As spring is upon us, soon the weather will be warm enough to ditch the boots but not warm enough for sandals. During this ‘transitional’ time, flats really are the ultimate ‘transitional’ shoes.
As a long-term wearer of flats, these are my recommendations for building a great collection of flats:
- Buy the best flats that your budget will allow: If you are someone who will wear flats to work and to an evening out (as I will) buy the best flats that your budget will allow. Personally, I have always spent more on flats than I have on heels. A great pair of flats makes the outfit and my flats always get more repeat wear than heels, making them far more cost-effective in the long run.
- Vary the style of flats in your wardrobe: There is such a wide variety of flat shoes available including ballet pumps, loafers, brogues and pointed-toe flats. Try buying a different style each time and enjoy the styling options that come with each type of shoe.
- Recognize that some flats are not meant for all purposes: Just like certain heels are meant to be worn for just a few hours over dinner (lest you lose all sensation in your feet), in the same manner certain delicately soled flats are not meant for all day wear. Choose styles with hardier soles for all day wear; your feet and posture will thank you!
- Buy flats in various colours: Often, there is a tendency to buy flat shoes in functional neutral colours such as black, grey and beige. While this a good strategy, there are so many beautiful flats available in an array of rich colours. Incorporate some of these into your shoes collection for ‘standout’ styling.
- Appreciate the power of statement flats: Statement flats can deliver that powerful combination of comfort and style. I can spot a pair of statement flats a mile off and they always stand out from the crowd for me.
I have had these pair of purple Ferragamo flats in my wardrobe for years and they look as beautiful today as they did the day I bought them. They are the ideal shoes for when you are happy to go out, just as long as you can wear your jeans and flat shoes (I fall into this category more often than not). I have paired them with a lovely silk statement tie-sleeve blouse and my most comfortable skinny jeans.
I hope you enjoy this look and thank you for visiting my blog.
(Clothes and accessories: Top – Warehouse, Shoes – Salvatore Ferragamo, Jeans – Zara, Clutch – Asos)