It’s Autumn and the nascent winter chill is in the air. There are new fall clothes in the shops, beautiful fall clothes in our closets, and it is finally their turn to take the dance floor. Autumn is the favourite season of so many of my friends and for good reason. The weather is crisp and fresh, and the clothes are a refreshing three hundred and sixty-degree change from the summer clothes that have dominated the past months. Autumn is the perfect season to show off cold weather fashion without it being so cold that all clothing is hidden by that extra thick and long coat!
So what’s new on the trend front for this Autumn? Animal print seems to be ruling the jungle at the moment – it is everywhere from dresses to coats and bags to shoes. Animal print has always been a fall classic; however, the standout print is not without its critics. It is probably one of the more controversial prints that people either love or love to hate. Fans enjoy its boldness and critics find it harsh and overbearing.
I stand divided on ‘animal print’ love – for me, it depends on the fabric and the exact print that has been used on an item. Generally, I find I enjoy wearing it most when I accessorize with it, rather than ‘go heavy’ with it covering the whole outfit.
Animal prints work well with classic fall colours and I find that pairing them with black, tan and red is a foolproof recipe for a sophisticated Autumn look. In this lookbook, I have paired my lovely animal print flats with jeans, an oversized cosy black jumper, a classic tan coat and a red crossbody bag. I love everything about this look; it represents my personal fashion statement perfectly.
I think this time of the year is a great time to invest in some classic clothes that will carry you through the winter and into spring. in my opinion, investing in classics such as black jumpers and tan coats will provide you with an effective canvas to build your winter look – whatever that may be. I hope you enjoy this look and feedback is always welcome. As always, thank you for reading my blog and have a fabulous weekend.
Clothes and accessories:
Premium Black Jumper – H&M
Tan Coat – Massimo Dutti
Flat Shoes – Zara, Similar – ASOS, and Massimo Dutti
Crossbody Bag – Salvatore Ferragamo
I absolutely adore flats! One of the many benefits of being a woman is having a wide variety of shoes to choose from. While I thoroughly enjoy wearing heels, the reality is that flats are my absolute go-to shoes on most days of the year. As spring is upon us, soon the weather will be warm enough to ditch the boots but not warm enough for sandals. During this ‘transitional’ time, flats really are the ultimate ‘transitional’ shoes.
As a long-term wearer of flats, these are my recommendations for building a great collection of flats:
- Buy the best flats that your budget will allow: If you are someone who will wear flats to work and to an evening out (as I will) buy the best flats that your budget will allow. Personally, I have always spent more on flats than I have on heels. A great pair of flats makes the outfit and my flats always get more repeat wear than heels, making them far more cost-effective in the long run.
- Vary the style of flats in your wardrobe: There is such a wide variety of flat shoes available including ballet pumps, loafers, brogues and pointed-toe flats. Try buying a different style each time and enjoy the styling options that come with each type of shoe.
- Recognize that some flats are not meant for all purposes: Just like certain heels are meant to be worn for just a few hours over dinner (lest you lose all sensation in your feet), in the same manner certain delicately soled flats are not meant for all day wear. Choose styles with hardier soles for all day wear; your feet and posture will thank you!
- Buy flats in various colours: Often, there is a tendency to buy flat shoes in functional neutral colours such as black, grey and beige. While this a good strategy, there are so many beautiful flats available in an array of rich colours. Incorporate some of these into your shoes collection for ‘standout’ styling.
- Appreciate the power of statement flats: Statement flats can deliver that powerful combination of comfort and style. I can spot a pair of statement flats a mile off and they always stand out from the crowd for me.
I have had these pair of purple Ferragamo flats in my wardrobe for years and they look as beautiful today as they did the day I bought them. They are the ideal shoes for when you are happy to go out, just as long as you can wear your jeans and flat shoes (I fall into this category more often than not). I have paired them with a lovely silk statement tie-sleeve blouse and my most comfortable skinny jeans.
I hope you enjoy this look and thank you for visiting my blog.
(Clothes and accessories: Top – Warehouse, Shoes – Salvatore Ferragamo, Jeans – Zara, Clutch – Asos)